Published in conjunction with an ambitious multi-part exploration of Chinese culture in the Netherlands at The Groninger Museum and The Drents Museum in Assen, this volume considers art produced in China from the late 1970s to the mid-1990s. That country's recent avant-garde movement was spurred by the death of Mao Zedong in 1976, which unleashed a relative increase in freedoms. At first, artists continued producing state-propagated Realism, spawning a more socially engaged version of the entrenched style. After 1989, a cynical attitude emerged towards the political, economic and social systems of the recent past. The appearance of pointed references to Western consumer culture reveals one aspect of this quest for a new Chinese identity. This volume offers an art historical overview of the period, investigating a selection of works by 25 artists, including Huang Yong Ping, Ma Desheng, Luo Zhongli, Fang Lijun and Zhang Xiaogang. The publication also includes essays by journalist Eduardo Welsh, critic Francesca Dal Lago and curator Thomas Berghuis.
- Dewey Decimal: 709
- Physical Description: 9.0"x11.5"x0.6"; 1.4 lb; 152 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2008-08-01
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism -- Criticism
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism -- Regional -- Asian
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism -- General AAS
- Arts & Photography -- Museums & Collections -- Museums -- Exhibition Catalogs -- General
- Arts & Photography -- Museums & Collections -- Museums -- Exhibition Catalogs -- General AAS
- Arts & Photography -- Museums & Collections -- General
- Arts & Photography -- Museums & Collections -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books