This book aims at a unique synthetic appraisal and revaluation of Virginia Woolf's short stories. Confronting the author's essays on the short story with her practice, it shows how Woolf rejuvenates the genre of the short story and redefines it as a new form of conversation: a paradoxical and dynamic space, a space of encounter between the self and the other, a locus of emotion and a site of resistance against all forms of political and literary totality. This throws a new light on Woolf's short stories as foregrounding the ethical, a field hardly charted in studies of Woolf's short stories, as well as its intertwining with the political and the aesthetic. Set within the author's whole work which is seen as an open space favouring circulation, Woolf's short stories, far from being marginal and merely experimental, emerge as participating fully in Woolf's creative process and aesthetic quest.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 149-175) and index. Virginia Woolf's definition of the short story -- Woolf's short stories as a paradoxical and dynamic space -- Conversation, emotion and ethics or the short story as conversation -- Woolf's ethics of reading and writing -- Woolf's short story as a site of resistance.
- LCC: PR6045
- Dewey Decimal: 823/.912
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: ix, 179 p. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (hardcover)
- Woolf, Virginia,1882-1941 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Woolf, Virginia,1882-1941 -- Technique
- Short story
- Women and literature -- England -- History -- 20th century
- Fiction -- Technique
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books