The Taste of Sweet: Our Complicated Love Affair with Our Favorite Treats
Dismissed as d�class� by gourmands, blamed for the scourge of obesity, and yet loved by all, the taste of sweet has long been at the center of both controversy and celebration. For anyone who has ever felt conflicted about a cupcake, this is a book to sink your teeth into. In The Taste of Sweet, unabashed dessert lover Joanne Chen takes us on an unexpected adventure into the nature of a taste you thought you knew and reveals a world you never imagined.Sweet is complicated, our individual relationships with it shaped as much by childhood memories and clever marketing as the actual sensation of the confection on the tongue. How did organic honey become a luxury while high-fructose corn syrup has been demonized? Why do Americans think of sweets as a guilty pleasure when other cultures just enjoy them? What new sweetener, destined to change the very definition of the word sweet, is being perfected right now in labs around the world? Chen finds the answers by visiting sensory scientists who study taste buds, horticulturalists who are out to breed the perfect strawberry, and educators who are researching the link between class and obesity. Along the way she sheds new light on a familiar taste by exploring the historical sweet�scape through the banquet tables of emperors, the pie safes of American pioneers, the corporate giants that exist to fulfill our every sweet wish, and the desserts that have delighted her throughout the years. This fabulously entertaining story of sweet will change the way you think about your next cookie.From the Hardcover edition.
- Dewey Decimal: 664
- Physical Description: 5.1"x8.0"x0.7"; 0.4 lb; 272 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2009-03-24
- Cooking, Food & Wine -- Baking -- Desserts
- Cooking, Food & Wine -- Gastronomy -- Essays
- Cooking, Food & Wine -- Gastronomy -- History
- Cooking, Food & Wine -- General
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- By Topic -- Sense
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Popular Culture
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Agricultural Sciences -- Food Sciences -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Agricultural Sciences -- Food Sciences -- General AAS
- Science -- Agricultural Sciences -- Food Science
- Science -- General
- Science -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books