"Brilliant . . . a little masterpiece."�Chicago Sun-Times Book Week"Can rank with the best of Mann's writing."�The Boston Globe"Magnificent . . . one of the greatest bits of writing which one of the world's greatest writers has ever given us."�Chicago Herald-American"Brilliant . . . one of those splendid novelettes which in this reviewer's opinion represent the very essence of Mr. Mann's literary art."�Saturday Review of LiteratureThe Tables of the Law recounts the early life of Moses, his preparations for leading his people out of Egypt, the exodus itself and the incidents at the oasis Kadesh, and the engraving of the stone tables of the law at Sinai. In Thomas Mann's ironic and telling style, this most dramatic and significant story in the Hebrew Bible takes on a new (and at times, witty) life and meaning. Like Joseph and His Brothers, it represents Mann's art at its best. He who dares to retell the story of the exodus must be bold, but to succeed he must be inspired as well. Here one would say Mann was inspired.Newly translated from the German by Marion Faber and Stephen Lehmann.Thomas Mann (1875�1955) won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1929. His many works include Buddenbrooks, The Magic Mountain, and Confessions of Felix Krull.
- Dewey Decimal: 833.912
- Physical Description: 4.7"x7.1"x0.4"; 0.2 lb; 120 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2010-06-01
- Literature & Fiction -- Authors, A-Z -- ( M ) -- Mann, Thomas
- Literature & Fiction -- Contemporary
- Literature & Fiction -- Literary
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books