Forms part of the material issued in 1958 under title: Modjukuto, religion in Java. Includes index. 1. The Slametan communal feast as a core ritual -- 2. Spirit beliefs -- 3. The Slametan cycles -- 4. The Slametan cycles: birth -- 5. The Slametan cycles: circumcision and marriage -- 6. The Slametan cycles: death -- 7. The Slametan cycles: calendrical, village and intermittent Slametans -- 8. Curing, sorcery and magic -- 9. Permai: a modern Abangan cult -- 10. Santri versus Abangan -- 11. The development of Islam in Modjokuto -- 12. Conservative versus modern: the ideological background -- 13. Patterns of internal organization of the Santri community -- 14. The Santri educational system -- 15. The administration of the Moslem law: Islam and the state in Modjokuto -- 16. The Santri ritual pattern -- 17. The background and general dimensions of Prijaji belief and etiquette -- 18. The role of classical art -- 19. The role of popular art -- 20. Mysticism -- 21. The mystical sects -- 22. Conflict and integration.
- Dewey Decimal: 299.9
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xv, 392 p. : maps ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk.)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books