Computer scientists have increasingly been enlisted as "bioinformaticians" to assist molecular biologists in their research. This book is a practical introduction to bioinformatics for these computer scientists. The chapters are in-depth discussions by expert bioinformaticians on both general techniques and specific approaches to a range of selected bioinformatics problems. The book is organized into clusters of chapters on the following topics: ? Overview of modern molecular biology and a broad spectrum of techniques from computer science ? data mining, machine learning, mathematical modeling, sequence alignment, data integration, workflow development, etc. ? In-depth discussion of computational recognition of functional and regulatory sites in DNA sequences. ? Incisive discussion of computational prediction of secondary structure of RNA sequences. ? Overview of computational prediction of protein cellular localization, and selected discussions of inference of protein function. ? Overview of methods for discovering protein-protein interactions. ? Detailed discussion of approaches to gene expression analysis for the diagnosis of diseases, the treatment of diseases, and the understanding of gene functions. ? Case studies on analysis of phylogenies, functional annotation of proteins, construction of purpose-built integrated biological databases, and development of workflows underlying the large-scale-effort gene discovery.
- Dewey Decimal: 570
- Physical Description: 540 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2004-09
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books