"The collection of Norse-Icelandic mythological and heroic poetry known as the Poetic Edda contains the great narratives of the creation of the world and the coming of Ragnarok, The Doom of the Gods. The mythological poems explore the wisdom of the gods and giants, narrating the adventures of the god Thor against the hostile giants and the god's rivalries amongst themselves. The heroic poems trace the exploits of the hero Helgi and his valkyrie bride, the tragic tale of Sigurd and Brynhild's doomed love, and the terrible drama of Sigurd's widow Gudrun and her children."--BOOK JACKET. "Many of the poems predate the conversion of Scandinavia to Christianity, allowing us to glimpse the pagan beliefs of the North. Since the rediscovery of the Poetic Edda in the seventeenth century, its poetry has fascinated artists as diverse as Thomas Gray, Richard Wagner, and Jorge Luis Borges."--BOOK JACKET. "This is the first complete translation to be published in Britain for fifty years, and it includes a scholarly introduction, notes, a genealogy of the gods and giants, and an index of names."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references (p. xxx-xxxi) and index. The Seeress's Prophecy -- Sayings of the High One -- Vafthrudnir's Sayings -- Grimnir's Sayings -- Skirnir's Journey -- Harbard's Song -- Hymir's Poem -- Loki's Quarrel -- Thrym's Poem -- The Lay of Volund -- All-Wise's Sayings -- The First Poem of Helgi Hundingsbani -- The Poem of Helgi Hiorvardsson -- A Second Poem of Helgi Hundingsbani -- The Death of Sinfiotli -- Gripir's Prophecy -- The Lay of Regin -- The Lay of Fafnir -- The Lay of Sigrdrifa -- Fragment of a Poem About Sigurd -- The First Lay of Gudrun -- A Short Poem About Sigurd -- Brynhild's Ride to Hell -- The Death of the Niflungs -- The Second Lay of Gudrun -- The Third Lay of Gudrun -- Oddrun's Lament -- The Lay of Atli -- The Greenlandic Poem of Atli -- The Whetting of Gudrun -- The Lay of Hamdir -- Baldr's Dreams -- The List of Rig -- The Song of Hyndla -- The Song of Grotti.
- LCC: PT7234
- Dewey Decimal: 839/.61
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxxi, 323 p. ; 19 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk.)
- Amazon.com -- Literature & Fiction -- General -- Classics
- Amazon.com -- Literature & Fiction -- Poetry -- General
- Amazon.com -- Literature & Fiction -- World Literature -- Scandinavian
- Amazon.com -- Literature & Fiction -- World Literature -- Mythology -- General
- Amazon.com -- Literature & Fiction -- World Literature -- Mythology -- Norse
- Mythology, Norse -- Poetry -- Translations into English
Buying This Book
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books