Papers presented at a meeting held at George Mason University, May 24-26, 1993. Includes bibliographical references and index. Preface / Harold Morowitz -- Mental Processes and Brain Architecture: Confronting the Complex Adaptive Systems of Human Thought (An Overview) / Jerome L. Singer -- Complex Adaptive Systems / Murray Gell-Mann -- Near Decomposability and Complexity: How A Mind Resides in a Brain / Herbert A. Simon -- Can There Be A Unified Theory of Complex Adaptive Systems? / John H. Holland -- Neurobiology of Mental Representation / Patricia S. Goldman-Rakic -- The Organization of Memory / Larry R. Squire and Barbara J. Knowlton -- Can Neurobiology Teach us Anything About Consciousness? / Patricia Smith Churchland -- The Rediscovery of the Unconscious / John F. Kihlstrom -- Affects and Neuro-Modulation: A Connectionist Approach / David Rumelhart -- Thinking Away and Ahead / John Antrobus -- Natural Learning, Natural Teaching: Changing Human Memory / Roger C. Schank and John B. Cleave -- Does Mind Piggyback on Robotic and Symbolic Capacity? / Stevan Harnad. Evolution as An Algorithm - The Ultimate Insult? / Daniel C. Dennett.
- LCC: QP360.5
- Dewey Decimal: 153
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xii, 237 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk.)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books