The literary quest for an American national character
Includes bibliographical references (p. -245) and index. A farmer asks a question and a scientist creates a model -- Hugh Henry Brackenridge and the dogma of balance -- The defining moment : Washington Irving and A history of New York -- The fragments : minor writers, c. 1810-1824 -- The illusion ascendant : James Fenimore Cooper and the art of reconciliation -- Conclusion : A nice derangement of epitaphs.
- LCC: PS195
- Dewey Decimal: 810.9/35873
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xiii, 257 p. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (ebk)
- American literature -- Revolutionary period, 1775-1783 -- History and criticism
- National characteristics, American, in literature
- American literature -- 1783-1850 -- History and criticism
- United States -- Intellectual life -- 18th century
- United States -- Intellectual life -- 1783-1865
- Group identity in literature
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books