Take delicious sips from the literature of brews and spirits. Leslie Dunkling, under the imprimatur of the world's most famous brewer, gives a comprehensive introduction to the history and range of alcoholic beverages. Dunkling amasses poems, bits of biography, and clips from novels that show numerous coincidences between alcohol and literature. Chapters include "Liquid Magnanimity-The Wines of the World," "Lifting the Spirits-The Spirits and Liqueurs of the World," and "Something Brewing-Beers, Ales, and Stouts." Peppered with quotations from literary figures, including Charles Dickens, John Steinbeck, Thomas Hardy, and William Shakespeare, The Guinness Drinking Companion is sure to please lovers of fine literature and poetry as well as imbibers. It is a fascinating and often amusing look at the literature and history of alcoholic beverages. (6 1/2 x 9 1/4, 240 pages, illustrations) Leslie Dunkling has always been a moderate drinker, and has always been fascinated by the role drinking has played in literary history. He is the author of the best-selling Guinness Book of Names. He lives in England.
- Physical Description: 6.5"x9.4"x0.5"; 240 pages; 0.9 lb
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2002-11
- Amazon.com -- Cooking, Food & Wine -- Drinks & Beverages -- Beer
- Amazon.com -- Cooking, Food & Wine -- Drinks & Beverages -- Spirits
- Amazon.com -- Cooking, Food & Wine -- Gastronomy -- History
- Amazon.com -- Cooking, Food & Wine -- General
- Amazon.com -- Reference -- Quotations
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books