"One of our best and most innovative modern mystery writers."- The New York TimesThe very plague that decimated Europe in the 14th century lurks today in the high, dry land of the Southwest. But Navajo Tribal policeman Jim Chee and his mentor, Joe Leaphorn, discover an even deadlier killer stalking the Reservation in this, the most chilling and beautifully crafted story yet from the beloved and bestselling master of Southwestern suspense.When Acting Lt. Chee catches a Hopi eagle-poacher literally red-handed'huddled over the bloody body of a young Navajo Tribal police officer, he has an open-and-shut case. Even the Feds - usually at odds with Chee - agree, and it seems the Hopi is headed for the gas chamber. Until Joe Leaphorn shows up to blow Chee's case wide open.Leaphorn, now retired from the Navajo Tribal Police, has been hired to find Cathy Pollard, a hotheaded biologist who disappeared from the same remote area on the same day the Navajo cop was murdered. Is she a suspect? A victim? And what are Chee and Leaphorn to make of the report that a skinwalker'a Navajo witch'was seen in the same area at the same time? To answer these questions, Leaphorn and Chee must immerse themselves in the enigmatic web of scientists hunting the key to the most virulent form of bubonic plague since the Middle Ages. In addition to its finely wrought plot, The First Eagle offers a wealth of Tony Hillerman's signature gifts - glorious evocations of the high desert, delicately drawn characters, and eloquent insights into the foibles and wisdom of the Southwest's native peoples.�Hillerman's writing is like the landscape he describes: unadorned yet profound, sparse yet beautiful.� - Houston ChronicleAlso available unabridged - 0694520519 - $34.95 - six cassettes.
- Dewey Decimal: 813
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 1998-09
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books