The evolution of English prose, 1700-1800: style, politeness, and print culture
Includes bibliographical references (p. 239-267) and index. 1. The ordering of English. Hypotheses, contexts. Approaches. Cultural insecurity in the early eighteenth century. Cultural complacency in the later eighteenth century -- 2. Literacy and politeness: the gentrification of English prose. Early eighteenth-century prose. Late eighteenth-century prose. Orality and writtenness. Microscope and telescope -- 3. Testing the model. Defoe and Paine. Pope and Wordsworth. Astell and Wollstonecraft. Jonathan Swift. Edmund Burke. Shaftesbury -- 4. Loose and periodic sentences. What makes a sentence periodic? The domains of periodicity. Defoe and the syntax of accumulation. Joseph Addison -- 5. Lofty language and low. James Boswell. Decorum and genre and Boswell's Life. A map of high and low: Arbuthnot and others -- 6. Nominal and oral styles: Johnson and Richardson. More and less in orality and writtenness. Writtenness and orality in Johnson's prose. Samuel Richardson: the uses of indirection -- 7. The New Rhetoric of 1748 to 1793. What is rhetoric? What was rhetoric in the eighteenth century? The New Rhetoric of 1748 to 1793. Civilization as a cultural value -- 8. The instruments of literacy. Grammars. Review magazines. Dictionaries (and encyclopedias) -- 9. Politeness; feminization. The feminization of culture. "My Fair Lady": Pamela and ladies of the stage. Politeness in the dictionaries. Politeness as a universal in language -- 10. Style and rhetoric. Style as a mode of understanding. A rhetorical frame. Style-studies and cultural history -- Epilogue: language change.
- LCC: PR769
- Dewey Decimal: 828/.50809
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xi, 276 p. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (hardback)
- English prose literature -- 18th century -- History and criticism
- Women -- Great Britain -- Books and reading -- History -- 18th century
- Literature publishing -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century
- Written communication -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century
- Literacy -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century
- English language -- 18th century -- Rhetoric
- English language -- 18th century -- Style
- Courtesy in literature
- Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- 18th century
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books