The ethics of protocells: moral and social implications of creating life in the laboratory
Includes bibliographical references and index. Introduction to the prospects of protocells / Mark A. Bedau and Emily C. Parke -- New technologies, public perceptions, and ethics / Brian Johnson -- Social and ethical implications of creating artificial cells / Mark A. Bedau and Mark Triant -- The acceptability of the risks of protocells / Carl Cranor -- The precautionary principle and its critics / Emily C. Parke and Mark A. Bedau -- A new virtue-based understanding of the precautionary principle / Per Sandin -- Ethical dialogue about science in the context of a culture of precaution / Bill Durodi?e -- The creation of life in cultural context : from spontaneous generation to synthetic biology / Joachim Schummer -- Second life : some ethical issues in synthetic biology and the recapitulation of evolution / Laurie Zoloth -- Protocell patents : property between modularity and emergence / Alain Pottage -- Protocells, precaution, and open-source biology / Andrew Hessel -- The ambivalence of protocells : challenges for self-reflexive ethics / Brigitte Hantsche-Tangen -- Open evolution and human agency : the pragmatics of upstream ethics in the design of artificial life / George Khushf -- Human practices : interfacing three modes of collaboration / Paul Rabinow and Gaymon Bennett -- This is not a hammer : on ethics and technology / Mickey Gjerris -- Toward a critical evaluation of protocell research / Christine Hauskeller -- Methodological considerations about the ethical and social implications of protocells / Giovanni Boniolo.
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: x, 365 p. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Business & Investing -- Business Life -- Ethics
- Medicine -- Physician & Patient -- Medical Ethics
- Medicine -- Special Topics -- Biotechnology
- Medicine -- General
- Medicine -- General AAS
- Professional & Technical -- Engineering -- Bioengineering -- Biotechnology
- Professional & Technical -- Medical -- Basic Sciences -- Biotechnology
- Professional & Technical -- Medical -- Medicine -- Medical Ethics
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biology -- General
- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biology -- General
- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biology -- General AAS
- Science -- History & Philosophy -- Ethics
- Artificial cells -- Research -- Moral and ethical aspects
- Biotechnology -- Ethics
- Cell Proliferation -- ethics
- Bioethical Issues
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books