The emergence of the English author: scripting the life of the poet in early modern England
Includes bibliographical references (p. 203-213) and index. 1. England's "olde Ennius": Geoffrey Chaucer -- 2. The "mannes state" of Philip Sidney -- 3. Patronage, friendship, and poetic tradition: Sidney and Spenser -- 4. "Libertine in wit": Dr. Donne in literary culture -- 5. Milton's daughters.
- LCC: PR103
- Dewey Decimal: 821.009
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: x, 218 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (hc)
- Poets, English -- Early modern, 1500-1700 -- Biography -- History and criticism
- English prose literature -- Early modern, 1500-1700 -- History and criticism
- Authorship -- Social aspects -- England -- History -- 16th century
- Authorship -- Social aspects -- England -- History -- 17th century
- English poetry -- History and criticism -- Theory, etc
- Biography as a literary form
- Poetry -- Authorship -- History
- Canon (Literature)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books