The distaff side: representing the female in Homer's Odyssey
Includes bibliographical references (p. 201-217) and index. Odyssey, history, and women /A. J. Graham --Female representations and interpreting the Odyssey /Seth L. Schein --Between Skylla and Penelope : female characters of the Odyssey in Archaic and Classical Greek Art /Diana Buitron-Oliver and Beth Cohen --Plan of Athena /Sheila Murnaghan --Sirens, muses and female narrators in the Odyssey /Lillian Eileen Doherty --Penelope as moral agent /Helene P. Foley --Figuring fidelity in Homer's Odyssey /Froma I. Zeitlin --Coming of age in Phaiakia : the meeting of Odysseus and Nausikaa /H.A. Shapiro --Kirke's men : swine and sweethearts /Richard Brilliant --Femmes fatales : Skylla and the Sirens in Greek Art /Jennifer Neils --Intimate act of footwashing : Odyssey /Christine Mitchell Havelock.
- LCC: PA4167
- Dewey Decimal: 883/.01
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xviii, 229 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Homer. -- Odyssey
- Homer -- Characters -- Women
- Epic poetry, Greek -- History and criticism
- Women and literature -- Greece -- History
- Goddesses, Greek, in literature
- Art and literature -- Greece
- Women in literature
- Women in art
- Art, Greek
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books