For all of architecture's apparent grandness of scale, it is in the details that the architectural idea is rendered. "The Architectural Detail" gives an overview of architectural detailing by a galaxy of prominent Dutch architectural firms of the moment, exploring the relationship between detail and context. What is at issue here is not the purely constructional side of details--say wind- or water-proofing--but their architectural potential. These are strategic details, designed and made the way they are because the concept demands it--in the best cases the whole concept can be read in any of the details. How these details were arrived at--the detail design process--is illustrated through texts, drawings, and photographs. Author and architectural scholar Ed Melet devotes chapters to the "detail philosophy" of such architectural stars as OMA/Rem Koolhaas, Koen van Velsen, Neutelings Riedijk, MVRDV, Ben van Berkel (UN Studio), Benthem Crouwel, and CEPEZED. Paperback, 192 pages, 11 x 8.75 inches, 225 color and 180 b&w illustrations.
- Dewey Decimal: 720
- Physical Description: 8.8"x11.8"x0.8"; 2.4 lb; 192 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2001-04-15
- History -- Europe -- Netherlands
- Home & Garden -- Interior Design -- Decoration & Ornament
- Professional & Technical -- Architecture -- Criticism
- Professional & Technical -- Architecture -- Reference
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books