Steel helmet and mortarboard: an academic in Uncle Sam's Army
The story of an Austrian refugee who earned an American law degree in 1941, but a year later was drafted into the U.S. Army. Heller's account of those years recalls how he adjusted to military life and then how he later resumed his academic career only to be recalled to active duty for the Korean War.
Includes index. "Home is the place where... when you come to it, they have to take you in" -- From schnitzels to barbeque -- Finis Austriae -- Fort Bragg, North Carolina -- Oahu, Territory of Hawaii -- Camp Caves, Queensland, Australia -- Goodenough Island and Hollandia, New Guinea -- Leyte, Philippine Islands -- Mindoro and Mindanao, Philippine Islands -- Okayama and Himeji, Japan -- Fukuoka, Japan -- Around the world in sixty days -- Reprise: Fort Bragg again -- Fort Leavenworth, Kansas -- Epilogue: Serendipity or good fortune.
- LCC: D811
- Dewey Decimal: 940.54/1273092
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xiii, 190 p. ; 24 cm.
- Heller, Francis Howard
- United States -- Army -- Military life -- History -- 20th century
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, Austrian American
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Pacific Area
- Soldiers -- United States -- Biography
- Austrian Americans -- Biography
- Refugees -- United States -- Biography
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Refugees
- Law teachers -- Kansas -- Lawrence -- Biography
Buying This Book
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books