How often in today�s environmental debates have youread that �the science is in dispute��even when there isoverwhelming consensus among scientists? Too often,the voice of science is diminished or diluted for the sake of politics, and thepublic is misled. Now, the most authoritative voice in U.S. science, Sciencemagazine, brings you current scientific knowledge on today�s most pressingenvironmental challenges, from population growth to climate changeto biodiversity loss.Science Magazine�s State of the Planet 2006�2007 is a unique contributionthat brings together leading environmental scientists and researchersto give readers a comprehensive yet accessible overview of currentissues. Included are explanatory essays from Science magazine editorin-chief Donald Kennedy that tie together the issues and explore therelationships among them. Each of the book�s 18 chapters is written bythe world�s leading experts, such as:� Joel Cohen on population� Peter Gleick on water� Daniel Pauly on fisheries� Thomas Karl on climate change science� Paul Portney on energy and development� Elinor Ostrom and Thomas Dietz on commons managementInterspersed throughout are Science news pieces that highlight particularissues and cases relevant to the main scientific findings. An addedfeature is the inclusion of definitions of key terms and concepts thathelp students and nonspecialists understand the issues. Publishedbiennially, State of the Planet is a clear, accessible guide for readers of alllevels�from students to professionals.
- Dewey Decimal: 333.7
- Physical Description: 7.1"x10.1"x0.8"; 1.6 lb; 216 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2006-06-15
- Business & Investing -- Popular Economics -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Earth Sciences -- Environmental Science
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Earth Sciences -- General
- Science -- Biological Sciences -- General
- Science -- Earth Sciences -- Environmental Science
- Science -- Earth Sciences -- General
- Science -- History & Philosophy -- General
- Science -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books