Return to Babylon: travelers, archaeologists, and monuments in Mesopotamia
Includes bibliographical references (p. -374) and index. Preface -- Acknowledgments -- Author's note -- Chronology: 10,000 B.C. to A.D. 1515 -- I. Lost kingdoms and Biblical lands -- A legacy of civilizations -- Early travelers -- Carsten Niebuhr at Persepolis -- II. Consuls and cuneiform -- Claudius James Rich -- Diplomacy and archaeology in Baghdad -- The Euphrates expedition -- Cuneiform deciphered -- III. Palaces of kings -- Excavations at Khorsabad -- Layard of Nineveh -- Nimrud and Khorsabad -- IV. Tablets and tells -- Excavations in Babylonia -- The royal lion hunt -- The deluge tablets -- Gates and palaces -- A scramble for tablets -- Sumer discovered -- Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon -- Leonard Woolley at Carchemish -- V. Science and nationalism -- Gertrude Bell and the new Iraq -- Woolley at Ur -- Nationalism and archaeology -- Catastrophe -- Notes -- Guide to further reading -- Index.
- LCC: DS69.6
- Dewey Decimal: 935
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xix, 386 p. : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books