Proving the way: conflict and practice in the history of Japanese nativism
Author: Mark McNally. Cf. ECIP t.p. plus. Includes bibliographical references (p. -275) and index. The ascendancy of Hirata Atsutane and the invention of kokugaku -- The formation of rival nativist schools : the Edo-ha and the Norinaga school -- The Norinaga school in Edo -- The sandaiko?� debate : mythology, astronomy and eschatology -- On a dream and a prayer : Atsutane's discourse of succession and the invention of a new nativist tradition -- Forsaking textualism : ancient history and the supernatural -- Bakumatsu kokugaku and the Hirata school -- Conclusion : centrality at the margins.
- LCC: B5244
- Dewey Decimal: 952/.0072/052
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xiv, 287 p. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (cloth : alk. paper)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books