Pluralism and identity: studies in ritual behaviour
The subject of this book is ritual behaviour, in particular of groups with a distinctive religious, ethnic or other identity which use rituals to pursue strategic ends ad intra and ad extra. Five essays offer theoretical perspectives on ritual in plural and pluralist societies, on similarity and demarcation, on the negative case of the Australian Aboriginals, on Brazilian religious pluralism, and on Ghanaian churches in the Netherlands. Three essays describe the ritualization of the encounter, or confrontation, between religions in India (between Buddhists and Hindus, and between Hindus and Muslims), and in Yemen between Muslims and Jews. Four essays study the responses to internal religious plurality, in early Israel, on Java, in Indonesia, and in Spain and North Africa. One essay explores responses to external religious plurality. In the epilogue, the social nature of pluralism and identity is highlighted. This book is particularly important for scholars of ritual theory and the study of religions, but also for Islamologists, Indologists, scholars specializing in diaspora religions and religions of ethnic minorities, and in anthropology of religions.
"Papers presented at an international conference in Leiden University on 14 and 15 January 1995"--P. 3. Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- LCC: BL600
- Dewey Decimal: 291.3/8
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: vi, 376 p. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (hard : alk. paper)
- Rites and ceremonies -- Congresses
- Ritual -- Congresses
- Religious pluralism -- Congresses
- Identification (Religion) -- Congresses
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books