The book provides a detailed introduction to the essential themes, style, and aesthetics of Pedro Almod�var's films, put in the context of Spain's profound cultural transitions since 1980. With precise and close analysis, the book covers the major concerns of the most successful of all Spanish film directors and makes direct, clear connections to the logic of Almod�var's aesthetic and stylistic choices. By spanning the entirety of Pedro Almod�var's feature-making career, the book emphasizes the director's sensibility to make the outrageous believable and to always give a unique spin to the issues of Spanish history, culture and identity.A detailed and comprehensive approach to all of Pedro Almod�var's feature films from the outrageous 1980 Pepi, Luci, Bom and Other Girls on the Heapto the sophisticated 2004 Bad Education, this book provides more than an introduction and intimate look at the topics, style, aesthetics, and cultural sensibilities of Spain's most distinguished and celebrated film director since Luis Bu�uel. By focusing on a film-by-film, and often scene-by-scene analysis, this book offers a meticulous interpretation of characters, situations, allusions, and cultural intersections as well as emphasizes the meaning and weight of cultural, historical and social contexts. The book traces the evolution of Almod�var's career, from the perspective of aesthetic, narrative and stylistic concerns, and places those changes in the logical context of Spain's historical trajectory from the end of Franco's dictatorship to the transition to democracy, exploring Almod�var's interest on issues of identity, sexuality, and nationalism.
- Dewey Decimal: 791.430233092
- Physical Description: 5.4"x7.4"x1.2"; 1.2 lb; 216 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2007-02-24
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Arts & Literature -- Entertainers
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Arts & Literature -- General
- Biographies & Memoirs -- General
- Entertainment -- Movies -- History & Criticism
- Entertainment -- Movies -- Reference
- Entertainment -- Movies -- General
- Entertainment -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books