Parasites are flexible and temporary structures, designed by artists or architects, that feed off of existing infrastructure. Parasite Paradise documents 23 projects that respond on their own terms to new and unforeseen demands. Many of these parasites have settled in the government-designated "Vinex" district of Leidsche Rijn near Utrecht, turning a district almost exclusively concerned with dwelling into a more urban entity. What do these small, mobile architectural interventions mean for our strictly regulated society and for the planning of architecture and urbanism? What sense (or nonsense) is there in mobile architecture from a historical perspective? How much of it is art and how much is architecture? Parasite Paradise encourages us to consider a new approach to planning, one where not everything is fixed beforehand. This makes it required reading for architects, urban planners, and artists whose concern is designing urban space. With projects by Shigeru Ban, Atelier van Lieshout, Vito Acconci, Alicia Framis, Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster & Martial Galfione, Kathrin B�hm & Stefan Saffer with Andreas Lang, Attila Foundation, Winter/H�rbelt, and others. Essays by Jennifer Allen, Hans Ibelings, Olof Koekebakker, Liesbeth Melis, Ivan Nio and Gijs Van Oenen. Paperback, 6.5 x 9.25 in./190 pgs / 130 color and 45 b & w.
- Dewey Decimal: 720
- Physical Description: 6.4"x9.0"x0.6"; 0.9 lb; 190 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2004-02-02
- Professional & Technical -- Architecture -- Building Types & Styles -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Architecture -- Building Types & Styles -- General AAS
- Professional & Technical -- Architecture -- Criticism
- Professional & Technical -- Architecture -- Reference
- Professional & Technical -- Architecture -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Architecture -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books