The distinction between norms and facts is long-standing in providing a challenge for psychology. Norms exist as directives, commands, rules, customs and ideals, playing a constitutive role in human action and thought. Norms lay down 'what has to be' (the necessary, possible or impossible) and 'what has to be done' (the obligatory, the permitted or the forbidden) and so go beyond the 'is' of causality. During two millennia, norms made an essential contribution to accounts of the mind, yet the twentieth century witnessed an abrupt change in the science of psychology where norms were typically either excluded altogether or reduced to causes. The central argument in this book is twofold. Firstly, the approach in twentieth-century psychology is flawed. Secondly, norms operating interdependently with causes can be investigated empirically and theoretically in cognition, culture and morality. Human development is a norm-laden process.
- Dewey Decimal: 155
- Physical Description: 6.0"x9.0"x0.7"; 1.0 lb; 304 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2009-03-19
- Health, Mind & Body -- Mental Health -- General
- Health, Mind & Body -- Mental Health -- General AAS
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- Child Psychology -- Development
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- Child Psychology -- General
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- Clinical Psychology
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- Developmental Psychology
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- General
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books