New immigrants in the United States: readings for second language educators
Includes bibliographical references. Introduction / Sandra Lee Mckay and Sau-ling C. Wong -- Flowering of America: linguistic diversity in the United States / Reynaldo F. Macias -- American linguistic mosaic: understanding language shift in the United States / Calvin Veltman -- Bilingualism and language use among Mexican Americans / Guadalupe Valdes -- Puerto Ricans in the United States: confronting the linguistic repercussions of colonialism / Ana Celia Zentella -- Speaking in Cuban: the language of Cuban Americans / Ricardo Otheguy, Ofelia Garcia, and Ana Roca. Linguistic situation of Central Americans / John M. Lipski -- English language learners of Vietnamese background / Chuong Hoang Chung-- Lanugage situation of the Hmong, Khmer, and Laotian communities in the United States / M. G. Lopez -- English language learners of Chinese background: a portrait of diversity / Sau-ling C. Wong and M. G. Lopez -- Korean Americans' language use / Pyong Gap Min -- Language situation of Filipina/os: diversity and complexity / Joan May T. Cordova -- Soviet immigrants in the United States: issues in adjustment / Eli Hinkel. At home with English: assimilation and adaptation of Asian Indians in the United States / Kamal K. Sridhar and S. N. Sridhar -- English language learners and educational investments / Sandra Lee McKay -- Legal investment in multilingualism / Rachel F. Moran -- Investment, acculturation, and language loss / Bonny Norton.
- LCC: PE1128
- Dewey Decimal: 428/.007
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: x, 461 p. ; 24 cm.
- English language -- Textbooks for foreign speakers
- United States -- Emigration and immigration -- Problems, exercises, etc
- Immigrants -- United States -- Problems, exercises, etc
- Readers -- Emigration and immigration
- Readers -- Immigrants
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books