Nagappattinam to Suvarnadweepa: Reflections on the Chola Naval Expeditions in Southeast Asia
The South Indian Chola kings had developed a sophisticated maritime enterprise based on sea based commerce with trading contacts in Malaya, Sumatra and China. This had resulted in an ocean going fleet that was dispatched by the Chola King Rajendra Choladeva I against the Srivijaya Kingdom. The essays in this volume reflect on the naval expedition, which is also mentioned in the inscription dated 1030-31 of the big temple of Tanjavur in South India. Perhaps the most significant contribution of this volume to Asian maritime history is the translations of ancient and medieval Tamil and Sanskrit inscriptions relating to Southeast Asia and China and the Chinese Texts describing or referring to the Chola Kingdom as Zhunian.
- Physical Description: 6.0"x8.8"x0.9"; 1.2 lb; 337 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2010-01-15
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books