Eleven year old reveals My Invisible World of life with her brother, his disability and his service dog. Through the eyes and words of an eleven year old sister, two separate stories within the same family are told. Being the sibling of a child with special needs has it s own unique challenges that often go unrecognized, unseen. Winokur s My Invisible World speaks a gentle truth with unashamed honesty that many families face daily behind closed doors. In addition, this young author exposes a hidden public health crisis that impacts each of us. This completely preventable disability occurs when a pregnant women drinks alcohol. 1 out of 100 live births are affected by prenatal alcohol exposure and it is the leading known cause of intellectual disability. Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs) is a life-long birth defect. An individual may live with neurological, emotional, cognitive, and behavioral damage. This devastating legacy is 100% preventable if a pregnant woman does not drink alcohol. As the typical sister, Winokur wrestles with the angst of whether or not it is better to remain translucent in her existence, or whether she should embrace the visibility that having a service dog in the family creates. Not only is an eleven year old boy s hidden disability validated by the service dog but the effort it takes for an entire family to support this person becomes perceptible. The unconditional presence and specifically trained skills of an irresistible 90 pound Golden Retriever help to heal not only Winokur s brother, but each member of the family in unexpected ways. As one eleven year old reader said, OMG I love it!!! Morasha s words are really powerful and you can feel how she feels! Available September 2009, online through major suppliers. Published by micro publisher Better Endings New Beginnings in Minneapolis, their mission is accomplished to provide a voice for the voiceless.
- Dewey Decimal: 362
- Physical Description: 5.9"x8.7"x0.2"; 0.3 lb; 80 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2009-09-09
- Children's Books -- Animals
- Children's Books -- People & Places -- Family Life -- Adoption
- Children's Books -- People & Places -- Social Issues -- Special Needs
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books