"Mussolini is remembered as one of the two most important Fascist dictators of the twentieth century. He seized power in Italy in 1922 and ruled the country until overthrown in 1943. But his rule ended in military disaster and personal humiliation, and he was executed by anti-Fascist partisans in 1945." "On the 60th anniversary of Mussolini's death, Martin Clark's portrayal of the Fascist dictator's leadership bears a striking resemblance to the rule of contemporary politicians, obsessed by media spin and short-term triumphs at home and abroad. Clark argues that Mussolini pioneered a 'mediacracy' - rule by journalists attempting to ensure that all social institutions, and even the private sphere, conform to government dictates. The Fascist stress on political correctness may have been quite different in subject matter from today's, but was similar in its attempts to make certain extremely common things unsayable and even unthinkable."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- LCC: DG575
- Dewey Decimal: 945.091/092
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xii, 359 p. ; 21 cm.
- Mussolini, Benito,1883-1945
- Fascists -- Italy -- Biography
- Heads of state -- Italy -- Biography
- Fascism -- Italy -- History
- Italy -- History -- 1914-1945
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books