Moody Minds Distempered: Essays on Melancholy and Depression
In Moody Minds Distempered philosopher Jennifer Radden assembles several decades of her research on melancholy and depression. The chapters are ordered into three categories: those about intellectual and medical history of melancholy and depression; those that emphasize aspects of the moral, psychological and medical features of these concepts; and finally, those that explore the sad and apprehensive mood states long associated with melancholy and depressive subjectivity. A newly written introduction maps the conceptual landscape, and draws out the analytic and thematic interconnections between the chapters. Radden emphasizes and develops several new themes: the implications, theoretical phenomenological and moral, of recognizing melancholy and depressive states as mood states; questions of method, as they affect how we understand and characterize claims about melancholy and depression; and the persistence and force of cultural tropes linking such states to brilliance, creativity, and sagacity. Insights from literature and the history of medicine, psychology, and psychiatry are woven together with those from the more recent disciplines of feminist theory and cultural studies. This is interdisciplinary writing at its best-part analytic philosophy, and part history of ideas.
- Dewey Decimal: 128.37
- Physical Description: 6.3"x9.3"x1.0"; 0.8 lb; 208 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2009-01-12
- Health, Mind & Body -- Mental Health -- Emotions
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- Cognitive
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- Consciousness & Thought
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- Metaphysics
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- Movements -- Humanism
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- General
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- General AAS
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Behavioral Sciences -- Cognitive Psychology
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Behavioral Sciences -- Cognitive Science
- Science -- Behavioral Sciences -- Cognitive Psychology
- Science -- Behavioral Sciences -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books