Mind, body, and Judaism: the interaction of Jewish law with psychology and biology
Essays taken from the first ten volumes of Yeshiva University's Torah u-Madda Journal. Includes bibliograhical references and index. pt. I.Introduction --pt. II.Torah and science --Where do Torah and science clash? /Adin Steinsaltz --Torah and science: constructs and methodology /Moshe D. Tendler --Halakhah and scientific method /Yaakov Neuberger --Darwin and Derash: the interplay of Torah and biology /Carl Feit --pt. II.Judaism and mental health forum: a fictional case with commentaries --Case study: diagnosis and treatment of a psychotic depressive /Jay F. Shachter --Ritual, literalism and diagnosis: thoughts provoked by a provocative essay /Tzvi Hersh Weinreb --Religion and mental health: a theoretical and clinical perspective /Yitzchak Schechter --"A garland for ashes": regarding diagnosis of religious rituality in "diagnosis and treatment of a psychotic depressive" /Moshe Halevi Spero --Human factor: a plea for second options /Shalom Carmy -- pt. III.Judaism, genetic engineering and the cloning of humans --Introduction /Dacid Shatz, Joel B. Wolowelsky --Scientific advance and the jewish moral conscience /Yitzchok Adlerstein --Creativity and catharsis: a theological framework for evaluating cloning /Kenneth Waxman --Cloning and its challenges /Julian (Yoel) Jakobovits --Human cloning: scientific, moral and jewish perspectives /Avraham Steinberg --Cloning and the noahide legal code /Michael J. Broyde --Case for genetic engineering /Fred Rosner --Cloning as a remedy for reproductive failure /Richard V. Grazi --Case against cloning /Eitan Fiorino --Human and molecular cloning: ethical dilemmas in a brave new world /Feige Kaplan --Is a human clone a golem? /John D. Loike --Matter of time: the moral status of cloning /Yigal Shafran --pt. IV.Jewish and biological death --Halakhic definition of death in light of medical history /Edward Reichman.
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: ix, 257 p. ; 24 cm.
- Bioethical Issues -- Collected Works
- Judaism -- Collected Works
- Religion and Medicine -- Collected Works
- Religion and Psychology -- Collected Works
- Judaism and science
- Mental health -- Religious aspects -- Judaism
- Medicine -- Religious aspects -- Judaism
- Human cloning -- Moral and ethical aspects
- Medical ethics
- Jewish ethics
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books