Includes glossary. Includes bibliographical references and index. The history and scope of microbiology -- The study of microbial structure: microscopy and specimen preparation -- Procaryotic cell structure and function -- Eucaryotic cell structure and function -- Microbial nutrition -- Microbial growth -- Control of microorganisms by physical and chemical agents -- Metabolism: energy, enzymes, and regulation -- Metabolism: energy release and conservation -- Metabolism: the use of energy in biosynthesis -- Genes: structure, replication, and mutation -- Genes: expression and regulation -- Microbial recombination and plasmids -- Recombinant DNA technology -- Microbial Genomics -- The viruses: introduction and general characteristics -- The viruses: bacteriophages -- The viruses: viruses of eucaryotes -- Microbial taxonomy and phylogeny -- The archaea -- Bacteria: the deinococci and nonproteobacteria gram negatives -- Bacteria: the proteobacteria -- Bacteria: the Low G + C gram positives -- Bacteria: the High G + C gram positivies -- The fungi (eumycota), slime molds, and water molds -- The algae -- The protozoa -- Microorganism interactions and microbial ecology -- Microorganisms in aquatic environments -- Microorganisms in terrestrial environments -- Normal microbiota and nonspecific (innate) host resistance -- Specific (adaptive) immunity -- Medical immunology -- Pathogenicity of microorganisms -- Antimicrobial chemotherapy -- Clinical microbiology -- The epidemiology of infectious disease -- Human diseases caused by viruses -- Human diseases caused by bacteria -- Human diseases causedd by fungi and protozoa -- Microbiology of food -- Industrial microbiology and biotechnology.
- Dewey Decimal: 579
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxii, 992, A1-A66, G1-30, C1-C6, I1-I36 p. : ill. (some col.), col. maps ; 28 cm.
- Edition Info: (int ISE)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books