Mapping the end times: American evangelical geopolitics and apocalyptic visions
Over the last quarter-century, evangelicalism has become an important social and political force in modern America. Here, new voices in the field are brought together with leading scholars such as William E. Connolly, Michael Barkun, Simon Dalby, and Paul Boyer to produce a timely examination of the spatial dimensions of the movement, offering useful and compelling insights on the intersection between politics and religion. This comprehensive study discusses evangelicalism in its different forms, from the moderates to the would-be theocrats who, in anticipation of the Rapture, seek to impose their interpretations of the Bible upon American foreign policy. The result is a unique appraisal of the movement and its geopolitical visions, and the wider impact of these on America and the world at large.
Includes bibliographical references and index. pt. 1. Contesting the American holy land. "What would Lee do? : religion and the moral landscapes of Southern nationalism in the United States / David Jansson -- Contests over Latter-Day space : Mormonism's role within evangelical geopolitics as seen through last-days novels / Ethan Yorgason -- Obama, son of perdition? : narrative rationality and the role of the 44th President of the United States in the end-of-days / Jason Dittmer -- pt. 2. American evangelical exceptionalism. Apocalyptic exceptionalism : Rosenberg, Clancy and the prophecy of Americanism / Simon Dalby -- The 'new world order' and American exceptionalism / Michael Barkun -- Imagining apocalyptic geopolitics : American evangelical Citationality of evil others / Tristan Sturm -- pt. 3. Missionary geopolitics. The problematic synergy between evangelicals and the US Senate in Sub-Saharan Africa / Hannes Gerhardt -- Reaching the unreached in the 10/40 window : the missionary geoscience of race, difference, and distance / Ju Hui Judy Han -- Between Armaggeddon and hope : dispensational premillennialism and evangelical missions in the Middle East / Carolyn Gallaher.
- LCC: BR1642
- Dewey Decimal: 277.3/082
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xvi, 261 p. : map ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Religion & Spirituality -- Christianity -- Evangelism -- Missions & Missionary Work
- Religion & Spirituality -- Religious Studies -- Church & State
- Religion & Spirituality -- Religious Studies -- Sociology
- Evangelicalism -- United States
- Christianity and international relations
- Christianity and politics -- United States
- Eschatology -- Political aspects -- United States
- End of the world
- Evangelikale Bewegung
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books