"Judith Singer is back! After twenty years Susan Isaacs reintroduces us to the heroine of Compromising Positions, her first novel, and returns to a suspense story set in suburbia." "Judith's life has changed. She now has her doctorate in history. Her workaday hours are spent at St. Elizabeth's College, mostly squandered in history department shriek-fests. She is also a widow. Her husband, Bob, died one-half day after triumphantly finishing the New York City Marathon in four hours and twelve minutes. And although twenty years have passed without her seeing Nelson Sharpe of the Nassau County Police Department, Judith still cannot get her former lover out of her system." "With Courtney Logan's dramatic disappearance, all eyes turn instantly to her husband, Greg Logan, son of Long Island mobster Philip "Fancy Phil" Lowenstein. But since there is no body, there is no arrest. Then, in the less-than-merry month of May, Judith comes home from work, turns on the radio, and hears the Logans' pool man telling a reporter that he opened the pool and found...a raccoon? Not quite: "...I see, you know, it's...a body! Jeez. Believe it or not, I'm still shaking." The woman in the pool turns out to be Courtney, and now it's officially homicide. And Judith comes alive! She offers her services to the police chief's suspect, Greg Logan, but he shows her the door, thinking her just another neighborhood nut. His father, however, isn't so sure: Fancy Phil may have other plans for her."--BOOK JACKET.
- LCC: PS3559
- Dewey Decimal: 813/.54
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: viii, 358 p. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (acid-free paper)
- Women detectives -- New York (State) -- Long Island -- Fiction
- Organized crime -- Fiction
- Missing persons -- Fiction
- Widows -- Fiction
- Nassau County (N.Y.) -- Fiction
- Long Island (N.Y.) -- Fiction
- Mystery fiction
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books