Literature and its times profiles of 300 notable literary works and the historical events that influenced them
Provides the historical background of the most-studied novels, plays, poems, speeches and short stories. Entries examine both the historical setting of the literary work and the historical events taking place at the time the work was written.
Includes bibliographical references and index. v. 1. Ancient times to the American and French Revolutions, (pre-history-1790s) -- v. 2. Civil wars to frontier societies (1800-1880s) -- v. 3. Growth of empires to the Great Depression (1890-1930s) -- v. 4. World War II to the affluent fifties (1940-1950s) -- v. 5. Civil rights movements to future times (1960-2000). Electronic reproduction.Farmington Hills, Mi :Gale.Available via World Wide Web. Original: 5 v. : ill., maps ; 29 cm.
- LCC: PN50
- Language: eng
- Edition Info: (electronic book)
- Literature and history
- History in literature
- World history in literature
- Literature -- History and criticism
- Classical literature -- History and criticism
- Literature, Medieval -- History and criticism
- European literature -- Renaissance, 1450-1600 -- History and criticism
- European literature -- 17th century
- European literature -- 18th century
- European literature -- 19th century
- European literature -- 20th century
- American literature -- 19th century
- American literature -- 20th century
- War and literature
- Civil rights movements in literature
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books