Learning disabilities: practice issues in health settings
The NHS and Community Care Act has radically changed the nature of service provision and the relationship between professionals and service users. This raises issues which are of crucial importance to all health-care professionals or students who work with people with a learning disability. The authors of this book examine these issues, and the theoretical concepts underpinning them, from a practical perspective. Learning Disabilities highlights the complexities which arise in working with people with a learning disability, focusing on three main themes - social policy and service provision, judgements, and specific interventions. The authors discuss the problems raised by ideas such as consumerism and choice, control and empowerment, informed choice, and professional power. Each chapter includes an introduction to and explanation of the relevant concepts and detailed case studies show how these relate to practice. The practical implications for care delivery are clearly identified and there are useful summaries of key points. By linking theory to practice in a novel way, Learning Disabilities enables professionals and students from a variety of backgrounds to apply theoretical concepts to different areas of their practice. The book will be of special value to courses in nursing and social work and will also be an effective resource for trained professionals in their day-to-day practice.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- LCC: RC570.2
- Dewey Decimal: 362.2
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: vi, 196 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Edition Info: (hbk.)
- People with mental disabilities -- Medical care
- People with mental disabilities -- Services for
- Learning disabled -- Medical care
- Learning disabled -- Services for
- Mental Retardation -- therapy
- Learning disorders -- Therapy
- Ethics, Professional
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books