Learning About Friendship: Stories to Support Social Skills Training in Children With Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism
Making friends can be a challenge for all children, but those with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) can struggle more than most. This collection of ten fully illustrated stories explores friendship issues encountered by children with ASD aged 4 to 8 and looks at how they can be overcome successfully. Key problem areas are tackled, including sharing, taking turns, being a tattletale, obsessions, winning and losing, being taken advantage of, jealousy, personal space, personal hygiene, tact and diplomacy, and defining friendship. The friendly story format depersonalises issues, allowing children to see situations from the perspective of others and enabling them to recognise themselves in the characters. This opens the door to discussion, which in turn leads to useful insight and strategies they can practise and implement in the future. Each story has a separate introduction for adults which explains the main strategies within it. This book will be a valuable resource for all teachers and parents of children with ASDs, along with their friends and families, and anybody else looking to help children with ASDs to understand, make and maintain friendships.
- Dewey Decimal: 618.92858832
- Physical Description: 6.5"x9.5"x0.5"; 0.6 lb; 144 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2010-12-15
- Health, Mind & Body -- Personal Health -- Children's Health -- Autism & Asperger's Syndrome
- Nonfiction -- Education
- Parenting & Families -- Special Needs
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books