Inside the Stalin archives: discovering the new Russia
To most Americans, Russia remains as enigmatic today as it was during the Iron Curtain era. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, the country had an opportunity to confront its tortured past. Here, author Brent asks why this didn't happen. Why are archivists under surveillance and phones still tapped? Why does Stalin, responsible for the deaths of millions of his own people, remain popular enough to appear on boxes of chocolate? Brent draws on fifteen years of access to high-level Soviet archives to answer these questions. He shows us a Russia where, in 1992, used toothbrushes were sold on the sidewalks, while now shops are filled with luxury goods. Stalin's specter hovers throughout, and in the dictator's personal papers we find an unnerving prophecy of the world to come. Both cultural history and personal memoir, this is a deeply felt and vivid portrait of Russia in the 21st century.--From publisher description.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -332). Pt. 1: Connections. Descent: January 1992 ; Mariana ; Into the archive ; Mariana, continued ; The little man ; Mariana, continued ; Day two in the archive: the only American ; Pikhoia ; Farewell -- Pt. 2: Searching. In the labyrinth ; Turmoil, misdirection, fear ; "Farewell, dead men" ; The secret death of Isaac Babel ; Raoul Wallenberg ; Erofeev's widow ; Vsyo normalno ; Vergil ; Yezhov's office ; The personal archive of Josef Stalin ; Stalin ; Stalin's hand.
- LCC: DK510.763
- Dewey Decimal: 947.086
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 335 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Edition Info: (hbk.)
- History -- Russia
- History -- World -- General
- History -- World -- General AAS
- History -- General AAS
- Stalin, Joseph,1879-1953 -- Influence
- Russia (Federation) -- Social conditions -- 21st century
- Russia (Federation) -- Politics and government -- 1991
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books