Inarticulate longings: The ladies' home journal, gender, and the promises of consumer culture
Includes bibliographical references(p. -272) and index. 1. A Profile of the Ladies' Home Journal -- 2. Housekeeping: The Greatest Business in the World -- 3. Women's Paid Work: Setting and Stretching the Boundaries -- 4. Stoves for Women, Votes for Men: The Journal and Women's Political Involvement -- 5. The Amateur Rebel: Female Protagonists in Ladies' Home Journal Fiction -- 6. Advertising Women: The J. Walter Thompson Company Women's Editorial Department -- 7. "Every Woman Is Interested in This": Advertising in the Ladies' Home Journal.
- LCC: HC110
- Dewey Decimal: 659.13/2
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: x, 278 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk.)
- Ladies' home journal
- Women consumers -- United States -- History
- Advertising, Magazine -- United States -- History
- Popular literature -- United States -- History and criticism
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books