Illustrations, optics and objects in nineteenth-century literary and visual cultures
"This book explores the encounter between verbal and visual forms through a material aesthetic in which perception is shaped by the tangible qualities of the media. The contributors map a new critical approach in which typography and design play an important role as well as the images represented or evoked in the text"--Provided by publisher.
Includes bibliographical references and index. Introduction : nineteenth-century objects and beholders / Luisa Cal� and Patrizia Di Bello -- Ekphrasis and terror : Shelley, Medusa, and the phantasmagoria / Sophie Thomas -- Wordsworth's glasses : the materiality of blindness in the Romantic vision / Heather Tilley -- The wont of photography, or the pleasure of mimesis / Lindsay Smith -- Aesthetic encounters : the erotic visions of John Addington Symonds and Wilhelm Von Gloeden / Stefano Evangelista -- 'Latent preparedness' : literary association and visual reminiscence in 'Daisy Miller' / Graham Smith -- A modern illustrated magazine : The yellow book's poetics of format / Lorraine Janzen Kooistra -- Dandyism, visuality and the 'camp gem' : collections of jewels in Huysmans and Wilde / Victoria Mills -- The book beautiful : reading, vision, and the homosexual imagination in late Victorian Britain / Michael Hatt.
- LCC: PR468
- Dewey Decimal: 810.9/356
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xix, 206 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (hardback)
- History -- Europe -- England
- Literature & Fiction -- History & Criticism -- Criticism & Theory
- Literature & Fiction -- History & Criticism -- Movements & Periods
- Literature & Fiction -- United States -- History & Criticism
- English literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism
- Visual perception in literature
- Imagery (Psychology) in literature
- Object (Aesthetics) in literature
- Material culture in literature
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books