Herland tells the story of three American male explorers who, on the eve of WWI, stumble onto an all-female society somewhere in the distant reaches of the earth. Unable to believe their eyes, they promptly set out to find some men, convinced that since this is a civilized country--there must be men. So begins Herland-a sparkling utopian novel and a romp through a whole world "masculine" and "feminine." As on target today as when it was written 65 years ago, Herland is utopia with a smlle, a gentle, witty version of what women can be. As fascinating to women for what it omits entirely as for what it discovers and invents for us, it is a fast and invigorating read. Charlotte Perkins Gilman was arguably the most important American author of the women's movement in the early 20th-century. In addition to editing a newspaper, "The Forerunner," she wrote "Women and Economics," one of the first studies of the role of women in the economic system. Other utopias written by Gilman include "Moving the Mountain" in 1911 and "With Her in Ourland."
- Dewey Decimal: 305
- Physical Description: 5.5"x8.5"x0.2"; 0.4 lb; 108 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2009-11-12
- Literature & Fiction -- World Literature -- United States -- Classics -- Gilman, Charlotte Perkins
- Literature & Fiction -- Contemporary
- Literature & Fiction -- General -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General
- Nonfiction -- Women's Studies -- Feminist Theory
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books