Hazlitt and the reach of sense: criticism, morals, and the metaphysics of power
Includes bibliographical references (p. -198) and indexes. 1. The Shapes of Power: Hazlitt's Metaphysics of Discourse. Hazlitt and Horne Tooke: A Philosophy of Grammar. The Real Language of Poetry. The Power Principle. The Palace of Thought: Hazlitt and Berkeley. Two Worlds -- 2. The Secret Soul of Harmony: Imagination, Association, and Unity. Unitarianism and Coleridge. Hazlitt and Associationism. Association and Necessity. Unity of Design -- 3. The Mighty Intellect: The Self as Focus in Hazlitt's Theory. Hazlitt and Butler. Hazlitt and Coleridge: The Divergent Positions. The Artistic Ideal. The Bias of Genius. The Egotistical Sublime. On Diction. Hazlitt, Keats, and Shakespeare -- 4. A Long-Contested Freedom: Metaphysics and Moral Theory. Alterity and the Moral Question. The Moral Ideal. Particular and Universal. Epistemological Background: Hazlitt's Theory of Abstraction. Hazlitt's 'Romantic' Morality. Liberty and Necessity. Hazlitt and Kant -- 5. Essays Political and Familiar: Two Aspects of Hazlitt's Ideal. Abstracting Passion: The Ideal of Power. His Own Interpreter: The Essayist as Artist.
- LCC: PR4773
- Dewey Decimal: 824/.7
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: x, 209 p. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (acid-free paper)
- Hazlitt, William,1778-1830 -- Philosophy
- Hazlitt, William,1778-1830 -- Knowledge -- Literature
- Literature -- History and criticism -- Theory, etc
- Criticism -- England -- History -- 19th century
- Metaphysics in literature
- Literature and morals
- Ethics in literature
- Power (Philosophy)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books