An ingenious metaphor provides the framework for this pene�trating study of Andr� Gide. To explore Gide�s �labyrinth of values,� Ben Stoltzfus uses the Prometheus legend as a point of departure, and with discerning erudition develops the thread that runs throughout Gide�s writings. Each book, from Les Cahiers d�Andr� Walter (1891) to Th�s�e (1946), along with his voluminous Journal, is seen as revealing a moral and aesthetic effort to draw away from bondage or self-deception, from spiritual blindness, and from submission to authority. .
- Physical Description: 4.9"x8.2"x0.9"; 0.1 lb; 208 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 1969-03-01
- Literature & Fiction -- History & Criticism -- General
- Literature & Fiction -- World Literature -- French
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books