John O'Hara's greatest accomplishment is available in a handsome newly revised one-volume edition. The famous Gibbsville stories, more than fifty of them-include such stunners as "The Doctor's Son," "Imagine Kissing Pete," "Fatimas and Kisses," "The Cellar Domain," and "The Bucket of Blood." Again, O'Hara's Pennsylvania Protectorate, as he called it-in reality, the coal region of his hometown, Pottsville, in Schuylkill County-comes to socially and sexually complicated life. Here are the miners in the company towns, the country club set, the shopkeepers, the bartenders, the barbers, and the collegians. It is a world as varied, vibrant, and complete as Faulkner's Yoknapatawphna County or Thomas Wolfe's Altamount. Presented in this Book-of-the-Month Club Selection are four decades of the best work by the author who Bennett Cerf declared one of America's most underrated writers.
- Physical Description: 6.1"x8.9"x1.5"; 500 pages; 1.7 lb
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2004-04-01
- Amazon.com -- Literature & Fiction -- General -- Classics
- Amazon.com -- Literature & Fiction -- General -- Literary
- Amazon.com -- Literature & Fiction -- Short Stories -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books