Exploration in the World of the Middle Ages, 500-1500 (Discovery & Exploration)
The Middle Ages, though marked by plague in Europe, was a time of increased investigation of the world. People from civilizations around the globe - from the Chinese in Asia to a curious Venetian named Marco Polo - sought to understand the world at large and discover its secrets. "Exploration in the World of the Middle Ages, 500-1500, Revised Edition" is an account of travels, expeditions, discoveries, and cross-cultural contacts in the span of 1,000 years throughout the world. This era encompassed periods of sophisticated civilization, learning, and outstanding achievement in many cultures around the world. Coverage of this title includes: the role played by three major religions - Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam - and these religions' pilgrims and missionaries who traveled throughout Asia, Europe, and the Middle East; the Vikings' advanced shipbuilding technology and how they sent exploratory, mercantile, and colonizing expeditions across the North Atlantic; Marco Polo's extensive travels and the wealth of geographical knowledge he gathered around China, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Indonesia, Japan, and the lands of the Indian Ocean; and, Portuguese expeditions to Africa and Asia supported by Prince Henry the Navigator Zheng He's monumental seventh voyage between 1431 and 1433 that included 100 ships and approximately 27,500 officers and crew.
- Dewey Decimal: 910.902
- Physical Description: 6.7"x9.2"x0.6"; 1.0 lb; 133 pages
- Edition Info: Library Binding; 2009-12-30
- Children's Books -- History & Historical Fiction -- Exploration & Discovery
- Children's Books -- People & Places -- Social Science -- General
- Children's Books -- Reference & Nonfiction -- General
- Reference -- General
- Teens -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books