Essential Readings in Biosemiotics: Anthology and Commentary
Synthesizing the findings from a wide range of disciplines � from biology and anthropology to philosophy and linguistics � the emerging field of Biosemiotics explores the highly complex phenomenon of sign processing in living systems. Seeking to advance a naturalistic understanding of the evolution and development of sign-dependent life processes, contemporary biosemiotic theory offers important new conceptual tools for the scientific understanding of mind and meaning, for the development of artificial intelligence, and for the ongoing research into the rich diversity of non-verbal human, animal and biological communication processes. Donald Favareau�s Essential Readings in Biosemiotics has been designed as a single-source overview of the major works informing this new interdiscipline, and provides scholarly historical and analytical commentary on each of the texts presented. The first of its kind, this book constitutes a valuable resource to both bioscientists and to semioticians interested in this emerging new discipline, and can function as a primary textbook for students in biosemiotics, as well. Moreover, because of its inherently interdisciplinary nature and its focus on the �big questions� of cognition, meaning and evolutionary biology, this volume should be of interest to anyone working in the fields of cognitive science, theoretical biology, philosophy of mind, evolutionary psychology, communication studies or the history and philosophy of science.
- Dewey Decimal: 570
- Physical Description: 6.1"x9.3"x2.2"; 3.1 lb; 860 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2010-09-11
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- Cognitive
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- Consciousness & Thought
- Reference -- Words & Language -- Linguistics
- Reference -- Words & Language -- General
- Science -- Behavioral Sciences -- General
- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biology -- General
- Science -- Biological Sciences -- General
- Science -- Evolution -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books