Microsoft?s Component Object Model is one of the most important concepts in software development today. Developer?s Workshop to COM and ATL 3.0 provides an in-depth treatment of COM and shows how to adopt a component framework, namely ATL, to help lessen the burden of repetitive code. Every chapter contains integrated lab assignments that give you numerous opportunities to build COM clients and servers using raw C++ and IDL, as well as the Active Template Library. The book is divided into five sections, each focusing on a particular aspect of COM and ATL development. The book begins with a review of object-oriented and interface-based programming techniques, then moves into the core aspects of COM, including a full examination of language independence and location transparency. The author illustrates the numerous CASE tools used during ATL development and discusses apartments, COM exceptions, object identity, and component housing, in addition to various advanced concepts such as COM categories and tear-off interfaces. The fourth section examines a number of ?COM patterns? such as enumerators, collections, scriptable objects, and callback interfaces. The book closes with an investigation of using ATL as a windowing framework and wraps up with the development of a full-blown animated ActiveX control using ATL. The companion CD contains full source code for all the labs, along with the official COM and DCOM white papers.
- Physical Description: 7.5"x9.2"x1.9"; 697 pages; 3.3 lb
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2000-04
- Amazon.com -- Computers & Internet -- Networking -- Networks, Protocols & API's -- COM & DCOM
- Amazon.com -- Computers & Internet -- Programming -- Software Design -- Object-Oriented Design
- Amazon.com -- Computers & Internet -- Programming -- Software Design -- Software Development
- Amazon.com -- Computers & Internet -- Programming -- APIs & Operating Environments -- COM, DCOM & ATL
- Amazon.com -- Computers & Internet -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books