Defining print culture for youth the cultural work of children's literature
Papers presented at a conference sponsored by the Center for the History of Print Culture in Modern America. Reading and re-reading: the scrapbooks of girls growing into women, 1900-1930 / Susan Tucker -- Communism for kids: class, race, and gender in Communist children's books in the United States / Paul C. Mishler -- Publishing pride: the Jim Crow series of Harlow Publishing Company / Louise S. Robbins -- The power of black and white: African Americans in late-nineteenth-century children's periodicals / Leslie R. Miller -- Defining democracy for youth through textbooks: controversy over the Rugg social studies series in prewar America / Carole J. Trone -- "Being poor doesn't count": class, ethnicity, and democracy in American girls' school series, 1900-1920 / Kathleen Chamberlain -- Turning child readers into consumers: children's magazines and advertising, 1900-1920 / Catherine Van Horn -- Learning to be a woman: lessons from girl scouting and home economics, 1920-1970 / Rima D. Apple and Joanne Passet -- Kate Chopin and the birth of your adult fiction / Bonnie James Shaker -- Reading Nancy Drew in urban India: gender, postcolonialism, and memories of home / Rodhika Parameswaran. Electronic reproduction.Boulder, Colo. :NetLibrary,2005.Available via World Wide Web.Access may be limited to NetLibrary affiliated libraries.
- LCC: PN1008.3
- Dewey Decimal: 809/.89282
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxii, 205 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (electronic bk.)
- Children -- Books and reading -- Congresses
- Children's literature -- History and criticism -- Congresses
- Electronic books
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books