Includes bibliographical references (p. -196) and index. Part one: Slipping into dialogue. Mozart, Bach and Vonnegut : signals of transcendence ; Signals disallowed ; Vonnegut : humanist or nihilist ; Almost human, and sometimes smarter ; Animal morality -- Part two: From morality to worldview : the argument morphs. Morality, the divine and everything else ; An objective foundation for morality ; Scientists and religious commitment ; A colloquy on morality -- Part three: The theological dimension : God in the dock. Good and evil and the character of God ; God Almighty ; God, His human creation and heavenly bliss ; God and human free will ; Speculation : what if? It seems to me ; Carl's Sabbath : a personal reflection -- Part four: Intelligent or unintelligent design. Scientists and intelligent design ; Intelligent design ; Unintelligent design ; Passionately antireligious ; Jim's Sabbath : a dizzy dream -- Part five: Our age : sacred or secular? Remembering secularism ; Secularism is not dead ; In defense of Novak -- Part six: Doctorow : the power of doubt. A highly evolved and beautifully stated religious point of view ; An unbridgeable gulf? ; Doctorow reconsidered ; Doctorow : pro and con ; Battling the antitechnological spirits ; Computers don't forgive ; Case closed! -- Part seven: The God question once again. Getting God off the hook ; A colloquy on the God hypothesis ; The scandal of the particular ; A believer's crutch -- Part eight: Rats and humans : minds and brains. Rat to rat, kindness takes hold ; Chimps too are kind ; Show me kindness ; Minds emerge from brains ; Dualism is not dead ; Subtle distinctions -- Part nine: The source of our deepest differences. A change of focus ; A way forward ; Carl and Jim in ancient Greece ; A final colloquy : on faith and reason -- Part the last: Winding down. Enough is enough ; Sure is! -- Afterword: Agreeing to disagree.
- LCC: BR128
- Dewey Decimal: 261.2/1
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 203 p. ; 21 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Religion & Spirituality -- Christianity -- General
- Religion & Spirituality -- General
- Christianity and atheism
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books