Darkest Italy: the nation and stereotypes of the Mezzogiorno, 1860-1900
"Stereotypical representations of the Mezzogiorno are a persistent feature of Italian culture on all levels. In Darkest Italy, John Dickie analyzes these stereotypes in the post-Unification period, when the Mezzogiorno was widely seen as barbaric, violent, and irrational, an "Africa" on the European continent. At the same time, this is the moment when the Mezzogiorno became a metaphor for the state of the country as a whole, the index of Italy's modernity. Dickie argues that these stereotypes, rather than being a symptom of the failings of national identity in Italy, were actually integral to the way Italy's bourgeoisie imagined themselves as Italian. Drawing on recent theories of "Otherness" and national identity, Dickie brings a new light to a key and well-established facet of Italian history - the relationship between the South and the nation as a whole."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -202) and index.
- LCC: DG825
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 209 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Public opinion -- Italy, Northern
- Stereotype (Psychology) -- Italy
- Italy, Southern -- Civilization -- Public opinion
- Italy, Southern -- Social conditions -- 19th century -- Public opinion
- Italy, Southern -- Politics and government -- 1861-1922 -- Public opinion
- Italy -- Politics and government -- 1870-1914
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books