"This volume culls together essays that examine the cultural aspects of music existing online. More than just the notion that "people download," Cybersounds is the first collection that critically looks at this issue, ultimately presenting new ideas and directions for exploring this field."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references and index. Deafening silence : music and the emerging climate of access and use / Elizabeth A. Buchanan -- Cybernetic gift giving and social drama : a netnography of the Napster file-sharing community / Markus Giesler -- Do u produce? : subcultural capital and amateur musicianship in peer to peer networks / Andrew Whelan -- Building a virtual diaspora : hip-hop in cyberspace / Andre Pinard and Sean Jacobs -- The technology of subversion : from digital sampling in hip-hop to the MP3 revolution / Adam Haupt -- The cyberactivism of a dangermouse / Michael D. Ayers -- Music b(r)ands online and constructing community : the case of New Model Army / Daragh O'Reilly and Kathy Doherty -- Beating the bootleggers : fan creativity, "lossless" audio trading, and commercial opportunities / Chris Anderton -- Hacking the iPod : a look inside Apple's portable music player / Gabrielle Cosentino -- The social pulse of telharmonics : functions of networked sound and interactive webcasting / Trace Reddell -- Breaking the decision chain : the fate of creativity in the age of self-production -- John Ryan and Michael Hughes -- Epilogue / Jonathan Sterne.?a.
- Dewey Decimal: 306.4/8424
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: viii, 282 p. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books